The first Irish Telephone Box was installed on Dawson Street, Dublin in 1925. It helped create one of the first links to the outside world.
A 1925 Irish Times newspaper report stated that the telephone boxes were “Designed so as to present a pleasing appearance and be in harmony with the surrounding buildings”.
Over the past decade nearly all the original telephone boxes in the country have been dismantled and destroyed. At present there may be only half a dozen still in operation.
This replica Kiosk, which was made by local man Raymond McHugh is located in Drumsna. Co. Leitrim as is used as a tourist information point in the village.